[Discussion] Monetization

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Diamay, Aug 6, 2018.

How do you see the monetization of MMORPG after the release?

1. Traditional P2P (subscription fee without the opportunity to hand over GT (game time);

2. Modified P2P (as plexes etc.) *tell us more*

3. F2P *provide shop examples*

4. Hybrids (freemium etc.) *describe in more detail*

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Diamay

Diamay Count

Jan 17, 2018
    Comrades!

Last comments and displeasure of the players are puzzling for me (and the team in general).

Therefore we are very interested in your opinion about monetization of ROG and MMORPG in general.

In the foreword I won’t go into statistics of differentiation of player preferences by characteristics: one or the other psychological type, geography, social situation, age.

But I want to describe our approved version (you can change it through voting after early access)

Proceed:
    1) B2P:
    The game starts on b2p through Steam, the cost can vary depending on regions (as I promised at the beginning for Russian Federation and CIS the game would cost about 1000 rubles);

2) Way from “Early access” to “Release”:
    It will take us about three years. Together we should think carefully and decide what would be better for the project regarding the monetization during this period. The data of voting will be calculated approximately in a half of a year after the start of Early Access. Without statistics there is too much theory in the unknown world (ROG is not typical clone of MMORPGs, it has many features, that can boost or reduce the game popularity).

3) P2P:
    Approved model (before the voting).
    Approval relates to recent releases of different foreign MMORPG, that surprised our team not less than game community. We don’t want any hints or suspicions that ROG can follow a similar path and become a typical product of Russian publisher.
    To put it mildly, such position creates difficulties for the project. It’s no secret that investors are interested in cost-effectiveness of investments and the flow of funds as opposed to some ‘principled and dreamy position of developers’.

Attention! Players that bought the game during the early access later would get full compensation of the cost with game time.
    Indeed, during the early access the game will be free. If the player starts to play during the early access it will be free after the release.

4) Variants of P2P:
    Variant I.
    At the moment we consider the model similar to the old EVE online plexes: game time could be hand over among the players. You can buy game time and gave it to the other players.
    Variant II.
    We can separate a part of customization (armour and weapon), real estate renting from the game currency adding it to the ‘plexes’ to reduce the game time cost.

These are not the exhaustive variants of P2P modification to reduce monthly payment making it below average.

5) My attitude towards F2P:
    F2P isn’t inherently bad.
    F2P as monetization model doesn’t ‘kill’ the games. As well as firearm doesn’t kill people,people kill other people with firearms.
    Games most frequently die from the greed of publishers and investors (often rolled into one). It’s hard to imagine a team, devoting a few years of their lives to the project and putting their talents to work, that want to turn a game into a donate garbage. An equally difficult to imagine an independent team that is capable to create an ambitious project within a reasonable time frame.

As well as firearms in defending, F2P model could not only save the project life but also make MMORPG better, increasing the number of players and variety of psychological types.

The first rule of ROG, that has been and will be the first and foremost -
    the lack of even indirect P2W shop where a player or a guild can buy an advantage on the battlefield (items, potions, tactical objects) or get game currency, resources and other game benefits.

In case the players will choose F2P, the ROG shop follows the next concept (besides the social elements):
    to reduce the gap in the speed of gaining experience and convenience between the players that spend 40+ hours in the game (including drivering) and players spending only 10-20 hours per week.

We didn’t aim to work out the F2P model, that’s why we didn’t have an indicative list of goods. But if you are interested in our view for the shop, we will create the list. As you understand, according to these principles it is very hard to monetize F2P project :)

Totally forgot: there NEVER will be no customization that doesn’t fit the LORE or setting, turning a tank into a shrimpy beggar in rags xD

Actually, the voting shows your opinion about monetization:
    The variants are clear, feel free to create and modify the hybrids (as freemium), share your thoughts.

2. Van

Van III degree of vocation Patron ROG Club

Aug 3, 2018
    The system I personally favor is traditional P2P without in-game sub-time trading, ideally coupled with some trial-account style of access to the game for new people to check it out in a limited fashion before subbing (because people are reluctant to go in subbing immediately upon discovering the game/wanting to try it <this is mostly for post-launch as I imagine this game will garner initial support throughout alpha/beta/early acess>). I am open to strict P2P personally as I believe a sub fee is the most ideal system for ensuring player success or failure being influenced exclusively by activities in-game, while still supporting the game. If F2P is the system the game goes with though, I would encourage looking at the F2P model developed by Turbine for Lord of the Rings Online as I think it's probably one of the most fair to both sides of any existent F2P model in an MMO, operating primarily on the 'can use money to save time, but can ultimately get anything you can get on the store with in-game efforts as well' sort of principle, it has hybridization elements too in that you can still sub for a variety of benefits like bundled temporary access to content and a minor amount of monthly store-points (all but one - access to a pair of PvP areas - obtainable for free if someone were to put in the time to grind enough store-points in-game).

• Like! Like! x 1
  3. Selzyr

Selzyr III degree of vocation ROG Club

Dec 2, 2018
    Recently I got an E-mail regarding Reign of Guilds, did a quick read up on the game and to put it simply

Interesting.

Now onto the subject at hand, Monetization

P2P that's my base opinion(Im based on EU/UK btw) altho, I understand what you said (Diamay) regarding F2P, and I totally agree, F2P isn't bad per-say, its how people been doing it over the years that...in some cases, its REALLY bad.

Now, onto my idea of F2P

F2P this idea would only work if people where to expect this and only this, very close to what PoE(Path of Exile) does atm, but a tinyyy bit different.

F2P from the get go
    Expansions on a personal stash(Bank) people would start with 2 tabs with a set amount of slots where they can deposit, they could obtain more stash slots(bank slots) from the cash shop.
    Guild Bank stash's (Bank's) would work similar to the personal stash's (Bank's) 2/3 slots with a set amount of slots, where's the Guild Master could obtain more(and of course the guild master could set permissions to the members of whom can touch what tabs on the stash(bank))
    Cosmetics(AND ONLY cosmetics)

Now how would cosmetics WORK on a PvP based game you ask? quite simple to be honest!

Recipes/Manuals(I have little information how crafting works on RoG so Im not 100% sure if this will make sense in the scale of how things are implemented currently or to be implemented in the future)

Player "A" buys a recipe/manual from the cash shop, that recipe can be used multiple times or sold(special appearances) that recipe/manual, lets say is for blacksmithing, that appearance is ONLY related to blacksmithed armors of that specific type.(depending of the material use, colors could change)

This way, people could customize their characters however they want, and the developers could create not only cool things for the base game but for those that are willing to go the extra mile to support them.

This is my idea of F2P done well, no P2W items whatsoever(since the items would have to be created by players, you would be only paying for appearances/vanity, and of course this would work on weapons and tailored items or leatherworked items)

• Like! Like! x 1