Crouch should hide name plates?

Discussion in 'Concept' started by Helix, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Helix

Helix IV degree of vocation ROG Club

Jul 26, 2019
    A cool mechanic I'd like to see is crouching hiding name plates based on proximity.

Example

Player 1 is crouching 20m away from Player 2, Player 2 cannot see Player 1's name plate till he reaches 10m of the target.

• Like! Like! x 1
  2. wain

wain Count Benefactor Emissary ROG Club

Feb 28, 2019
    This mech is already in progress (but its not hide nameplates) o/ jsz read more before post dude x)

• ... ... x 1
  3. Helix

Jul 26, 2019
    I know the tech is in progress, but I wanted to amend the idea of crouching hiding name plates to it as well (which is why I suggested the nameplate hiding, and not the crouching idea alone). Also the majority of this information is in the russian section of the forums (a lot of it being in the RU rog forum section, which for some reason is being secluded from the english section.

Basically don't be surprised when the western (english speaking) audience asks questions that have already been asked and answered in the russian section.

How big is the RU/EU community for this game? I suppose more attention from western audience will be generated in alpha / early release.

• Like! Like! x 2
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. wain

Feb 28, 2019
    Question is about risk for indie devs to pay rent for NA server( (and tech supps)
    From that point of view "will be" is not enough i guess.

• So so.. So so.. x 1
  5. Helix

Jul 26, 2019
    The trick is deploying a regional server that is adequate for both EU/RU and NA audience and where ping isn't such a huge issue. Darkfall online originally started with just an EU server and eventually deployed a NA server. Developing MMORPGS is not cheap, neither is server hosting / maintenance, however services like AWS make setting up and deploying regional server significantly easier than when DFO was around. I don't know what the teams criteria for "success" and "failure" is, but I would be hard press to think "success" would be obtainable without an NA audience, that is of course unless the EU/RU is larger than I think it is.

Also I didn't notice it mentioned any where what the server capacity will be? Are we talking about a thousand people on one server (thus needing multiple servers?) One world server that can hold thousands?

• Like! Like! x 1
  6. wain

Feb 28, 2019
    ?
    As i said, NA servers will be in game when third continent starts.So its hapen after release. 90% of NA mmo's dont have russian servers, you know why? Same way here but devs are russian.

• ... ... x 1
  7. Helix

Jul 26, 2019
    https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-no-Amazon-web-services-AWS-in-Russia

AWS is huge, but they are hesitant to work inside of russia for obvious reasons. I don't want to get into a political debate, but the problem why most mmorpgs don't host servers directly in russia is similar to the one above. Most MMORPGS use already established data centers, and none of these providers seem to want to setup shop in russia. However they do host servers in EU and try and find a good compromise. If the intent of the developers is to only have servers hosted in russia, that's going to be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people mostly because of performance, but perhaps even because of stigma concerns of security. Maybe the developers are using a russian equivalent to AWS or perhaps they're using a provider outside of russia in EU? I find it much more possible that the servers will be hosted in EU and NOT in RU for various reasons, regardless of the nationality of the developers.

The developers seem to pretty self-conscious about this, so I'm sure they've already considered this.

• Like! Like! x 1
  8. wain

Feb 28, 2019
    If you ask for more you will receive less. Why you said about AWS? Best way that all big mmo studio use to open foreign market is

-find publisher...
    Also different market is a diffrent audience right,
    So you cannot to please everyone.
    P.S. that article is like a political intrigue,nothing general with game developmet.

• Like! Like! x 1
    • So so.. So so.. x 1
  9. Helix

Jul 26, 2019
    That's funny logic. I'm not asking for anything outside the norms of "will the developers have adequate support for a western audience/market". Your original question was do I know why 90% of the mmorpgs don't run servers in russia and the answer is they don't want to have to deal with the laws, restrictions and other issues of running servers locally in russia. Have the developers stated they're making ROG just for the russian market? That's not how the site advertises the game and the fact they're releasing the game on a multitude of international platforms tells me a different story. Many publishers/developers USE AWS for server hosting. There are many mmorpgs and other major publishers and developers that utilize AWS, that's why I'm using it for an example. If Amazon, one of the largest and financially wealthy corporations on earth don't want to host servers in russia, who will then? It's one of the most popular services and rapidly supported services that exist today, and it's something that I work with frequently. Do you think the developers will have only one russian server which everyone plays on? Do you think the russian market will be enough to keep the lights on? Maybe you're right, maybe 10s of thousands of russians will play ROG and that will be enough for the developers. I don't think that will be the case tho.

The developers might have to find a publisher for the NA audience, but that brings all sorts of problems as well and the answer will most likely be a service like AWS. Publishers don't have their own data centers.

Like you said, you can't please everyone but when comes to accessibility to your product it's definitely good to try. ROG will be available on Steam, Discord, Epic Store, etc. Those are all western platforms.

• Like! Like! x 1
  10. wain

Feb 28, 2019
    yep thats my funny view) Im not sayin how cool rus\na\eu\asia markets.Small studio just cant hold your idea right here and right now.
    Ah, maybe surprise for you but world have lots of analogue for AWS.

• So so.. So so.. x 1
  11. Myrmex Thraxvágr

Myrmex Thraxvágr IV degree of vocation ROG Club

May 11, 2020
    How about doing the whole identification system differently ... how about you can't see the name at all before that very person introduces himself by writing his name in pm to you.
    Food for thoughts! There might be criminals or players who don't like sharing their identity without telling. Use this for many things ingame.

• Like! Like! x 2